Last Gasps


The South’s science-based team!

Our trained investigators are here to believe you.  Most importantly, we are here to solve the  matter what it takes. Our services are always FREE.

The Exorcism of Ronald Hunkeler

Disclaimer: This work has been completed as an educational tool for students of history, religious and paranormal studies. The author wishes to discourage any use of this work in conjunction with paranormal field investigations of demons.

Researched and written by Kyle T. Cobb, Jr.

Nos tibi credere.

A  Case History


At 11:00pm on 18 April 1949, while wearing saint medals and holding a crucifix, Hunkeler screamed, “Satan! Satan! I am St. Michael! I command you, Satan, and the other evil spirits to leave this body, in the name of Dominus, immediately! Now! Now! Now!” After a final spasm, Hunkeler fell quiet and proclaimed that “He is gone.”  

Following the final exorcism, Hunkeler claimed to experience a vision of St. Michael slaying a dragon. Believing it was a sign that his ordeal was over the family returned home from Missouri 12 days later. The strange behavior ceased and Hunkeler returned to school.

In one version of the exorcism diary there is a follow-up note dated 19 August 1951 that stated “R and his father and mother visited the Brothers. R, now 16 is a fine young man. His father and mother also became Catholic, having received their first Holy Communion on Christmas Day, 1950.”

As mentioned earlier, Hunkeler re-entered the eighth grade at Bladensburg Junior High for the 1949-50 school year. For high school, from the fall of 1950 until June 1954, he attended Gonzaga High School in Washington, D.C.

Some sources say that he worked for NASA and had three children. Claiming to have no knowledge of the events surrounding the possession, Hunkeler requested that both the priest and subsequent authors keep his identity secret. It has only been by following the clues detailed by Opsasnick that Hunkeler identity has become public.

Ithat last confirmed report of Huckeler came in 2006 when he was cited for a seatbelt violation.  He appeared in court in Ellicott City, MD, and paid a small fine.

In 1949, Brother Rector Cornelius sealed the fifth floor corridor of which hosted the exorcism after having the statue of St. Michael removed. The room and the existence of a copy of the diary (along with a note from Cornelius date 29 April 1949) remained locked away until the demolition of the old wing of the hospital. In October 1978, workmen clearing out furniture stored in the “old” wing of the Alexian Brothers Hospital that hosted the exorcism in St. Louis allegedly discovered the official record of the events which confirmed that Father Bowdern and Halloran had performed the exorcism over four nights in 1949.

< Back

Hunkeler shown in 1964 NASA publication